Empower the Ears and Heart to Lead
- A direct ear-hand feedback loop is quicker than the mind and bypasses conscious thought.
- While thinking is necessary, the brain often can be in the way.
- Ways to realize the goal of ‘being in the moment’ during performance.
- The mind is too slow to track every shift, string crossing, hear intonation, shape a phrase , create a mood—the ear can lead and adjudicate everything simultaneously.
- Transcending conscious thought is a worthwhile goal– It begins with learning how to persistently adjust your daily reflective practice.
- Ultimately, physical and aural awareness conjoin into an interdependent and fluid relationship.
- Touch the cello the way you want it to sound. Allow the music to directly inspire and guide the feel of your hands on the instrument.
- Teach your hands to respond directly to what you hear without always thinking about it.
- The ears can tell us everything, leading the hands to higher levels of instrumental mastery and artistry.