Beginning Quartertone Scales
- How to hear 1/4 tone scales
- How to practice 1/4 tone scales
- Saying the name of the note to yourself each time you arrive on a base note will help you stay mentally and aurally clear. Precise intonation depends on knowing when you are on one of the 12 chromatic pitches, and when you are in-between.
- Begin by putting the new finger down between the half step and shifting into the main note.
- Reverse the process and put the finger down on the main note and slide to the quartertone.
- After learning to feel the spacing and hear the pitch of a quartertone, you can begin to use other fingerings.
- The trick is for the ear to stay oriented to the traditional half step.
- Always confirm the pitch by checking against the open strings. Check every C, G, D and A.